Monday, February 15, 2010

Area 53 - Photo 8 - Bridge Over Troubled Waters




This afternoon I went down to the Detroit River near the Ambassador Bridge to try and a get a cool shot of the ice and snow that surrounds it's base, or whatever I could get lucky with.

Actually, I went down there twice. The first intentionally, the second by random turn of events.

The latter was due to a helicopter sighting while driving down Riverside Drive headed to a friend's house.

I took the opportunity to get a photo and pulled over in not one but two locations along the river.

It turns out the chopper was potentially searching for a body, but that could still be considered heresay at this point.

My photo of the week entitled, 'Bridge Over Troubled Waters', was made to feel almost prison-esque with the fence in the frame, so adding the helicopter in search of an unhappy ending was the perfect collaboration of the day.

The rest of the photos are all natural from today's visits to the river.

Enjoy, and be sure to check out Cale's photo, I'm anxious to see what he came up with myself.



Todd












Click here to check out Cale's photos

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to write this out again...just because my fingers don't mind the typing at the moment. It truly is too bad though because the previous long-winded comment was quite well thought out and written if I say so myself :P

    I definitely see how you were unable to pick the best of the what you shot today. I have to say that I am a fan of all four photos above. The composition is great in all of them. The colours are perfect, not blown out, and not under-saturated. The angles of all seem well thought out and planned.
    As for the "Photo of the Week"... I am aboslutely loving the positioning of the helicopter. I like the fact that you included some of the fence in the framework of the photo, along with the bridge. Being familiar with the area it gives me a perfect idea of exactly where you were when you captured this shot.
    For the second photo, the portrait of the two geese. It is very wonderfully done. The two geese seem as though they are posing in a Swan-like fashion, amoung the broken ice and glassy reflection in the water that surrounds them. I don't know why, but as soon as I caught a glance at this photo I fell in love with it. It might actually be my favourite of the four...though all are well done.
    As for the last photo (not to exclude the third one, I am just throwing some stuff out here right now)...the angle and the crop of the frame greatly elongate the Ambassador bridge and gives the illusion that it goes on for ever. I like even though you have an idea of where it ends, it remains somewhat elusive as to where the two reconvene. I have to agree that a wide angled lens would have exaggerated this effect. It would be interesting to see, but you did a fantastic job regardless.
    Going back to the overall effect. Again, the composition is great in all four. I know it was overcast today, and some people may not find the benefit in that, but I think you worked it to your advantage. I am a fan of the subtlety with the lighting and colour. The near monochromatic scheme allows your eye to catch the full effect of the positioning of the objects within the photo framework instead of having the bright colours distract from the main image.

    I'm telling you, my previous comment was a lot better... and even more long winded...
    Actually, I just read your comment about the "prison-esque"ness of the first photo, and I like your thinking. I can definitely see it.
    Great Job again. Keep it up. I love seeing what you have to show every week!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete